The Internet of Things (IoT) brings opportunities to create new services and products, reducing costs for societies, and changing how services are sold and consumed. A critical obstacle to further IoT innovation is the “vertical silos” that shape today's IoT landscape. These silos impede the creation of cross-industry, cross-platform and cross-organisational services due to their lack of interoperability and openness.
bIoTope lays the foundation for creating open innovation ecosystems by providing a platform that enables companies to easily create new IoT systems and to rapidly harness available information using advanced Systems-of-Systems (SoS) capabilities for Connected Smart Objects – with minimal investment.
The key objectives of the bIoTope project include the following:
- Provide the necessary standardised Open APIs to enable interoperability between today’s vertical IoT silos
- Enable new forms of co-creation of services ranging from simple data collection and processing, to intelligent, situation aware and self-adaptive support of everyday work and life
- Establish a robust IoT framework for security, privacy & trust that facilitates the responsible access and ownership of data
- Develop large-scale pilots in smart cities to provide proofs-of-concept of bIoTope enabled SoS ecosystems
- Maintain, grow and sustain the socio-technical and business models of bIoTope ecosystems by establishing a governance roadmap for ecosystem evolution
The project started January 2016 and will continued its research and development work through December 2018.
Standards for IoT and Technology Innovations
bIoTope technologies enable the publication, consumption and composition of heterogeneous information sources and services from across multiple systems (OpenIoT, FIWARE, city dashboards…). Full advantage is taken of recent IoT standards, notably the O-MI (Open Messaging Interface) and O-DF (Open Data Format) standards , while an “Everything as a Service” design enables rapid development of new IoT systems and reduced development costs.
Benefits for IoT Companies and Projects
The bIoTope platform enables IoT product and service providers to quickly develop and deploy IoT solutions utilising diverse information sources, which are easily integrated to compose more advanced and higher value solutions without substantial development costs. The project will use an open call process to involve IoT companies that want to be the first to exploit these time-to-market and development cost advantages.